2016 GMiS Military Cadet Role Models Call for Nominations
In 2004, GMiS partnered with the U.S. Department of Defense to create the Cadet Leadership Awards to recognize outstanding underrepresented undergraduate student leaders pursuing a science, technology, engineering or math (STEM) degree at our nation’s military academies. In 2009, the recognition program expanded to recognize underrepresented cadets from over 1,000 distinguished ROTC programs at college and universities across the country.
Great Minds in STEM (GMiS) invites the military academies and university ROTC programs to submit nominations for the GMiS Military Cadet Role Models.
The Cadet Leadership Award is presented to cadets, from an underrepresented group in STEM, who exemplify the following:
- Maintains a competitive academic standing (above a 3.0 GPA) in an accredited undergraduate science, technology, engineering, or math degree program
- Demonstrates qualities that represent their respective service academy or ROTC program with dignity and pride
- Displays leadership potential as a future STEM leader
- Demonstrates service and/or commitment to the underserved communities
- Displays the ability to inspire future military cadets from underserved communities as a STEM Role Model
The honorees will be recognized at the Future STEM Leaders Luncheon, on Thursday, October 6, 2016, in Anaheim, CA.. The luncheon is part of the HENAAC Conference, which brings over 2,000 STEM executives, professionals, college students and K-12 educators and students. The conference showcases and recognizes the nation’s top technical Hispanic talent and provides college students with an opportunity to participate in competitions, attend cutting-edge seminars, connect with STEM professionals in their field of study, and participate in a graduate school and career fair exhibiting Fortune 500 companies, federal agencies, and top-tier institutions.
GMiS will provide the honorees with a complementary registration and double-occupancy hotel accommodations. Travel and per diem expenses will be covered by the owning organization of the cadets being honored.
Selected honorees will receive additional information from GMiS with regards to their registration and overall conference participation.
- Participate in a rehearsal on Thursday morning before the Future STEM Leaders Luncheon
- Deliver a 3 – 5 minute speech upon accepting the award
- Support the K-12 Viva Technology Program as a College Captain, on Thursday morning beginning at 7:00 AM (before the rehearsal)
- After the Future STEM Leaders Luncheon, honorees are invited to participate in all the conference events including the HENAAC College Bowl, seminars, and career fair
A complete nomination packet includes:
- GMiS Military Cadet Leadership Awards Nomination Form
- A citation, not to exceed 600 words, summarizing the nominee’s accomplishments as a student and a role model to this nation’s youth
- A recommendation letter from a senior officer in the cadet’s chain of command
- A color photo, preferably a head shot, that is at least 300 dpi (The photo will not be used to assess the nomination, but rather in promotional and publication materials)
2016 Nomination Deadline
The deadline to submit nominations is 11:59 PM, EST, Friday, September 9, 2016. The complete nomination packet and any questions should be emailed to Dr. Gary Cruz, University Programs at email@example.com.