U.S. Navy STEM Scholarship
|What is NAVSEA?|
Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) is the largest of the Navy’s five systems Commands. Responsible for designing, building, buying and maintaining the nation’s fleet of ships, submarines and combat systems, it is a highly-specialized organization providing vital support to America’s Naval Forces. NAVSEA has over 60,000 civilian, military and contract support personnel working in numerous locations across the world. If it were a private company, NAVSEA would anchor atop of the nation’s Fortune 500 organizations.
NAVSEA offers a professional environment with rapid merit-based advancement opportunities and great benefits that recognize the importance of work-life balance. Pursue a meaningful and satisfying career as part of the America’s best civilian defense team. Experience the extraordinary civilian careers and unique opportunities of NAVSEA at http://www.navsea.navy.mil/Organization/Jobs.aspx.
Scholarship Description and Purpose
NAVSEA, in partnership with the Office of Naval Research HBCU/Minority Institution,s Program Office, developed the NAVSEA Scholarship to reach out the next generation of scientists and engineers. As tuition, cost of living, and other related college expenses continue to rise, NAVSEA’s Scholars Program help students focus on academics instead of mounting financial debt.
The NAVSEA Scholars Program consists of two parts:
2) A student employment opportunity through the NAVSEA Student Employment Program, to provide valuable technical work experience and tuition assistance for the remainder of school.
The NAVSEA Scholarship is awarded to outstanding incoming college freshmen (i.e. graduating high school seniors) intending to pursue a degree in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM). Scholars must be accepted for enrollment as a full-time student at a Hispanic-Serving Institution, exhibit exemplary scholastic attitude, maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher, demonstrate financial need, and are civically engaged.
Scholarship recipients will receive support for tuition and books and be given an opportunity to sign up for, and be hired into, the NAVSEA Student Employment Program. Work at a NAVSEA Field Command or Headquarters will begin the summer following the freshman year. This extraordinary career opportunity provides a higher rate of scholarship, technical summer work experience, initiation of government service and security clearance, mentorship from a NAVSEA scientist or engineer, and a graduation employment agreement.
The NAVSEA Scholars Program is an excellent opportunity to gain quality experience with financial assistance while in school, as well as create a direct route for future employment after graduation.
RequirementsFreshman Scholarship and Student Employment Requirements:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must pursue a field of study in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics discipline
- Must be accepted for enrollment as a degree-seeking freshmen student at a Hispanic-Serving Institution with an engineering program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). Institutions include any of the following:
- California State Polytechnic University-Pomona
- California State University-Dominguez Hills
- California State University-Fresno
- California State University-Fullerton
- California State University-Long Beach
- California State University-Los Angeles
- California State University-Northridge
- California State University-San Bernardino
- Colorado State University-Pueblo
- CUNY City College
- CUNY New York City College of Technology
- Florida International University
- New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
- New Mexico State University-Main Campus
- St Mary’s University
- Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
- Texas A&M University-Kingsville
- Texas State University-San Marcos
- The University of Texas at Brownsville
- The University of Texas at El Paso
- The University of Texas at San Antonio
- The University of Texas-Pan American
- University of California-Riverside
- University of Houston-Downtown
- University of New Mexico-Main Campus
- Must be in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must demonstrate a clear financial need
- Must be active in the local community
Scholars are selected through Great Minds in STEM and awarded a one-time scholarship, which is directly presented to the institution to apply against the student’s financial aid, tuition and fees, according to institutional financial aid policies.
A NAVSEA representative will regularly supply student with program information, tuition or technical assistance, and facilitation of summer student employment.
In the spring, students are expected to sign up for the NAVSEA Student Employment Program in order to continue receiving tuition assistance and begin technical work experience. Employment may begin the summer following freshman year.
Sophomore Year – Graduation:
Students are supplied information and are given the opportunity to enroll as a student employee at one of the sixteen NAVSEA Field Commands or Headquarters.
This program allows students to blend academic study and work experience to better prepare for their future. NAVSEA’s 12 Warfare Centers and 4 Shipyards provide exceptional opportunities to apply engineering skills to invent, develop, and test combat systems, and work on the most complex naval machinery and technology. Student employees are assigned mentors who are professional scientists or engineers to guide the student through their assigned duties. This hands-on experience not only helps student develop a real-world understanding of engineering principles, but also contributes to the critical defense of our nation.
The Student Employment Program is designed to prepare students for placement into a permanent position in the Federal government. Student employees receive up to $15K in tuition and books support, as well as a competitive salary with benefits during their work experience. Students who successfully complete all academic and work requirements may be considered for conversion to a permanent fulltime Federal position after graduation. Students who commit to the NAVSEA Student Employment Program and are offered fulltime employment after graduation will be obligated to work one year for every year they received tuition assistance while in school.
Student Employment is an excellent opportunity for college undergraduate students to obtain an interesting, real-world experience in the fields of science and engineering while contributing to the defense of our nation.